Trying to eat healthier but don’t want to sacrifice taste? If so, you will be happy you found this Lentil Tacos recipe to satisfy even picky eaters! These tacos are perfect when you need to feed a group of hungry eaters with different tastes. Set out a variety of healthy toppings and everyone can make a specialty taco they will love!
I like to serve an assortment of toppings with these Lentil Tacos. Often, I will set out lettuce, tomatoes, onions (green, red or yellow!), avocados, salsa, guacamole, chopped black olives, shredded cheese, and sour cream. For the vegans you can serve vegan sour cream and vegan cheese!
I think these Lentil Tacos will be one of your favorite recipes for both small and large gatherings. If you have a small group, you can save the extra Lentil Tacos mixture in the fridge. Reheat it later for more tasty tacos! If you have a large crowd you can double this recipe and buy lots of tacos shells! What a perfect, healthy, tasty meal recipe that everyone will love! Watch this cooking video and serve these delicious Lentil Tacos for dinner tonight!
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon poepper, fresh ground
- 1 cup lentils, dried (sorted, rinsed & drained)
- 12 taco shells
- Toppings of your choice
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the water, tomatoes with green chilies, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Add lentils and stir.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer then cover the pan with a lid.
- Simmer about 35 minutes or until the lentils are as soft as you like them. If the mixture becomes dry before the lentils are done add a little more water.
- Add the lentil mixture to the taco shells. Top with your choice of toppings like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced onions, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
It would be fun to have a taco party and set lots of different toppings out. Your guests can custom make their Lentil Tacos how they like them!
See a cooking demonstration of this Lentil Tacos recipe on the Cooking Lessons for Dad YouTube channel.