Make this easy, healthy, Indian Spiced Lentil recipe! In this cooking video Karen Breyer will show you how to make these Indian Spiced Lentils. If you enjoy Indian spices and are looking for healthy recipes, you are going to love this Indian Spiced Lentils recipe!
Lentils are a fast cooking legume that are easy to make. No need to soak these lentils like other legumes and beans. Because they are smaller, red lentils cook even more quickly than regular lentils.
Lentils are inexpensive and a great source of protein and fiber. Lentils digest slowly so may be beneficial for diabetics. They also may help those trying to lose weight because lentils help you stay full longer.
If you are trying to make more healthy meals for your family, this delicious Indian Spiced Lentils recipe will be perfect! I think it will be one of your best healthy recipes. Watch this cooking video and try this Indian Spiced Lentils recipe today!
- 2-3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ - 2 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 3 - 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 - 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons vegetable seasoning and broth, dried
- 3 cups water
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup red lentils, dried
- 4 teaspoons garam marsala
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in medium to large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion until it is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook another minute.
- Remove half the onion mixture and set it aside.
- Add the vegetable seasoning, water, tomatoes, lentils,
- garam masala and cumin to the pan with the onion mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt to taste. Top with reserved onion mixture.
- Serve plain or over rice, quinoa or couscous.
Instead of the dried vegetable seasoning and broth and water you can use 3 cups of prepared liquid vegetable broth.
You can use 1 teaspoon ground ginger in place of the fresh ginger.
These lentils are typically served over rice but they are also delicious over quinoa and couscous.
See a cooking demonstration of this Indian Spiced Lentils recipe on the Cooking Lessons for Dad YouTube channel.