Try this easy, healthy, delicious Curried Red Lentil Soup recipe! If you love curry and love lentils you will be crazy about this Curried Red Lentil Soup! In this cooking video Karen Breyer will show you step-by-step how to make Curried Red Lentil Soup.
A couple nice things about lentils compared to most beans is that you don’t have to soak them and they cook fast. One more bonus with this recipe is that it uses red lentils which cook even faster than brown lentils. Lentils are also very nutritious. They are high in protein and fiber and low in fat.
Looking for a new healthy soup recipe with lots of flavor? This is an outstanding curry and lentil recipe that is full of flavor and has a nice texture! Serve this soup as a main dish or side dish for lunch or dinner. Pair it with a salad and bread or crackers for a satisfying and filling meal! Watch this cooking video and try this Curried Red Lentil Soup recipe today!
- 1 - 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 - 1½ cups onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup carrot, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced OR ⅛ teaspoon ginger, dried
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 4 teaspoons chicken broth/seasoning, instant
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils (picked over, rinsed and drained)
- 1 (14½-ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup apple, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion. Sauté until it is soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and carrots. Sauté another 3 to 5 minutes or until the carrots are softened.
- Add the curry powder, ginger, cayenne, water, chicken broth/seasoning, lentils, tomatoes and apple to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the soup about 20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked to your desired softness.