Make this easy, healthy, flavorful Puerto Rican Style Beans recipe for dinner tonight! In this video Karen Breyer will show you step-by-step how to make these delicious Puerto Rican Style Beans.
This is a fast one pot dish that you can make very easily. These Puerto Rican Style Beans are a perfect healthy, easy, dinner recipe for beginners. This recipe uses canned black and red beans which are much easier and quicker than dried beans. The green and yellow peppers along with the tomatoes, onions and red and black beans make a very colorful and appetizing dish that everyone will love!
Serve these Puerto Rican Style Beans over brown, yellow or white rice for a hearty meal. If you want to change this recipe up try these beans over couscous, quinoa, potatoes or even yams!
If you are looking for new healthy food recipes ideas, you found one! This recipe is perfect for dinner but is also a very satisfying, easy, healthy lunch meal. If you have any leftovers they reheat beautifully for tomorrow’s lunch. Watch this cooking video, get out your pot and make this easy Puerto Rican Style Beans recipe for dinner tonight!
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups bell pepper, diced (green and yellow)
- 1½ cups onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (or to taste)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet or medium to large pot.
- Add pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté over medium-low heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the salt, cumin, red pepper, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer 5 - 10 more minutes or until beans are as soft as you would like.
- Serve. These beans are typically served over rice but are also delicious with quinoa, couscous, potatoes and yams.