Learn how to make this easy, healthy delicious Cuban Black Bean recipe in a crockpot or slow cooker! In this cooking video Karen Breyer will show you step by step how easy it is to make this healthy crockpot bean recipe! If you are looking for new vegetarian or vegan crockpot or slow cooker recipes you will love how easy and delicious this recipe is!
Cooking black beans is very easy in a crockpot or slow cooker. These Cuban Black Beans are the best over rice, couscous or quinoa. If you have been looking for healthy black bean recipes I think this will be your favorite recipe. If you like black bean soup, I expect you will also love this Cuban Black Bean Recipe! Watch this video and try this easy, healthy, delicious Cuban Black Bean recipe today!
- 1 pound black beans, dried
- 1½ cups onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 - 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 - 3 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 - 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 - 2 teaspoons salt, Kosher
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced (optional)
- Sort beans and remove stones and debris. Rinse them in a colander.
- Place beans in the crockpot. Cover with 8 cups cold water and soak overnight (at least 8 hours).
- Drain water and rinse beans in a colander.
- Put beans back in crockpot with about 3½ cups of clean water.
- Stir in the onion, onion powder, soy sauce, minced garlic, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Cook on high for about 4 - 5 hours or low for about 12 - 14 hours or until the beans are as soft as you would like them.
- When the beans are soft, stir in the salt and lemon juice.
- Taste the beans and if needed, add more salt and spices to your taste. Let the beans cook for 5 - 10 minutes longer.
- Serve the Cuban Black Beans over rice, couscous, or quinoa. Top with minced cilantro if desired.
You can substitute Bragg's Liquid Aminos for the soy sauce.